Wednesday 17 October 2007

Existence

Isn't the mind's eye a strange and peculiar thing? How is it possible to produce an image in your head, that can look so real? How does it work? I don't know what is stranger - the fact one can create an image or that we are able to see the image not with our eyes but within our minds. It is possible to look at an object with your eyes and at the same time see something else inside your brain, but the image you see in the brain does not cloud the actual thing you see. Think about it. Why can we even see an image that is not perceived by our eyes? How does the actual brain manage to put together an image that we have never seen in our life but yet it looks so real? Example: I picture Sara's body but with an elephant head. In my head, it looks flawless but I've never ever seen an elephant's head on Sara's body nor will I ever do it (unless I take some ecstasy I guess). So how does my brain know how it will look then, how can I even THINK how it would look? I guess it all comes down to imagination but the questions still remain... It's the same with hearing somebody speak in your head - you can make a person say whatever dirty stuff to you (I've tried, hahaaaa, busted!) but you've never heard the person say some of those words, yet you can imagine it perfectly in your head!

It's so amazing what the human body can do. Why do I sometimes feel knots in my stomach when I think of Jonathan (I suppose the easy answer is the body releases a fluid, triggered by the thought of someone you're having a crush on, but I'm digging even deeper than that; how is this fluid created? Why does the fluid create this feeling? Why in the stomach?)? Why can we feel happiness, sadness (again with the fluids; again with the questions) and so forth?

I wonder how the human body was created. Don't give me the usual theories (they're crap anyway) because how does a brain, a heart and all the other organs just materialize and then into one perfectly functioning individual? And how was the universe created? There had to be something before the first thing (the universe?) was created, right? So if there was something before the first thing was created, then the first thing wasn't the first thing, correct? How did this thing before the first thing appear then? It had to come from something too. What was the thing before the thing before the first thing? I could go on forever. Something can't just be by the snap of a finger. There has to be something before the very first thing but if we go by that logic then there could never be a first thing. The universe couldn't just have appeared! Doesn't it make you dizzy just thinking about it?! It sure does my head in...

I wonder, will we ever figure it out?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are confusing me. I hate to think about the universe! Madness, it's all pure madness!

Sara said...

*flyger omkring med ett elefanthuvud*

Quicksilver said...

(Hahaha Sara... :D)

Yes, it sure is, Emelie... :/