Tuesday 21 October 2008

Top 10 FPS Games

A round of applause for..... TOP 10 FIRST-PERSON SHOOTERS, any console! And umm... I have played Halo 2 and I didn't like it so much, so there'll be no Halo on this list. Also I haven't played every damn FPS there is out there so remember, this is strictly a personal list and it's not based on overall popularity amongst gamers. I will list the version (console) of the game that I have played and/or like the most. And only one game per franchise!

10. Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast (PC)
-
Does this count as an FPS? I don't know really but it's a great game and even though the FPS is mostly in the first part of the game, the option is still always there but who wants to use guns when you got the lightsaber! The lightsaber duels in this game are superior to any Star Wars-game (except the sequel Jedi Academy) - I've had so much fun with them. I love Star Wars but to be honest, many of the games are not that good so this was a breath of fresh air back in the days (there have been a couple of great Star Wars-games lately).

09. GoldenEye (N64)
-
Many fond memories of this game, from my younger days. I don't think I need to talk much about this game at all - other than that I think this game was better when I'm younger, it is a bit outdated now to be honest.

08. Aliens VS Predator 2 (PC)
-
Not for the faint of heart! I remember the first level (playing as the marine soldier) so well - I was about 12 or 13 and I was so scared. Great atmosphere and a truly scary game. The multiplayer, at the time at least, is truly solid and you can choose to play as either human, alien or predator (in both Single player and Multiplayer!) and each race has its weaknesses and advantages. It's totally up to you - how you wanna play it. However, in single player, there's a separate campaign for each race and I think my favourite campaign is the human one - it's truly scary.

07. Half-Life 2 (X360)
-
It took me some time to get into this game but in the end, it hooked me. Despite a few boring parts, it's a great game with a huge and engaging story and now I just have to finish episode 1 and 2 (yeah, I'm late). I love the Gravity Gun, especially upgraded. I had a lot of fun with this game after really getting into it.

06. TimeSplitters 3: Future Perfect (GCN)
-
I really picked this up on a whim, not knowing exactly what to expect. It was cheap and I knew it had a Map Editor (which turned out to be a disappointment due to the limitations). I was pleasantly surprised when I started playing. Nice gameplay and some humor - they always mix good. An enjoyable storyline, too, with many time travels and fun paradoxes and all that. The multiplayer is really fun aswell - especially with the amount of crazy characters! A gingerbread man, Handy-Man (A glove with legs and arms), a rotting carcass, an evil duck, a snow man, just to name a few hilarious characters!

05. The Darkness (X360)
-
Might come as a surprise for some but I really dig this game. It's dark (no pun intended) and the protagonist is one hell of a messed person. Great gameplay and a big world to explore and many nice quests to complete coupled with a really cool innovation - The Darkness powers! Tentacles growing out of your body, piercing your enemies and slapping them around and then devouring their hearts. A true pleasure to play! Oh and isn't it cool that it was developed by a Swedish developer? I'm Swedish, by the way.

04.
No One Lives Forever 1/2 (PC)
-
I can't decide between the first and the second game, they're equally good. The first game is a lengthy adventure stock-piled with humor and great action sequence (Aboard a crashing plane, you jump out mid-air and has to fall onto a bad guy and steal his parachute - totally awesome, especially for being a game released in 2000). It's basically a female James Bond FPS, but with a lot more humour and set in the 60s. They spoof many of the various agent movie-cliches and it works so well. The gadgets are way cool too - the lipstick grenade is way cool. I also love reading all of the letters and files scattered through-out the games, many of them are hilarious! The second game refined the graphics and the tools and weapons but it's shorter. Anyone who has played it will remember the boss battle that takes place inside a house.... trapped in the eye of a tornado! Wicked stuff! It also added a bit of an RPG-element that was a good addition. NOLF2 also has one of the best weapons of any game - The BANANA! Throw it in front of an enemy and watch him slip on it. Muhahaha! Despite all the humor, the action is packed and always existent - except for those parts where you play the stealthy type, but it's a nice change of pace. If you haven't played these games, you have truly missed something! They're overlooked gems.

03. BioShock (X360)
-
Great art-decor (50s style) and eerie atmosphere and environment. Also a nice touch of implants to get nice powers, like pyrokinesis. Nice story and the art-decor is unmatched so far (FPS-wise, anyway). The music really set the mood, too. Just one hell of a great game and I know many people agrees with me, was definitely Game of the Year 2007 in my opinion. The first game ever where I got 1000 Gamerscore too, haha. Think I was one of the first in the world actually (yeah, I've modded my Xbox 360 and downloaded the early leak). Too bad the final boss battle was a push-over - way too easy, but that isn't really game breaking, it's just one of the very few weak points this game has.


02. Metroid Prime (GCN)
-
I know, I know - most people wouldn't call this an FPS, it's more of an FPA - First-Person Adventure. But I don't care, I view as both FPS and FPA. The action in this game is non-stop and the story is great - however, to get the most out of the story you will have to read the many logfiles scattered through-out the game and I don't think many people would have the patience to read all the lore but it's worth it - makes you care more for the world and understand the motives of everyone. I can play this game over and over, it's so good. The only part I don't like is the underwater part in the middle of the game but... A game can't be perfect, can it? I also must say - the music in this game absolutely rocks! I love the electronic music and some of the remixes of old Metroid-songs are way cool! I remember when I first put the disc in the Gamecube and got to the Data Selection Screen - I was blown away... By a freaking menu screen! The music is top-notch, true rubberband electronica with awesome whistle-sounds and to make matters better the whole animation and look of the menu screen is awesome. Oh, and the effects on Samus' visor when she walks into steam or rain - groundbreaking at the time and still is beautiful! This is a very nicely crafted masterpiece by Retro Studios. Metroid in 3D rocks!

01. Perfect Dark (N64)
-
The pinnacle of First-Person Shooters. It refined GoldenEye and made it even better, with a better story, better weapons, better graphics, better gameplay, better music, better everything! I know GoldenEye is like the mother of all modern FPS's but really, I've tried playing it lately but I find myself getting bored and I don't get bored with Perfect Dark. PD64 is just the perfect FPS package. I love the music (You'll find me listening to the music on my computer sometimes, as I do right this moment actually - playing now is "Air Force One - Anti-Terrorism"). The game had superb levels and a healthy amount of them - about 17 I think. With the bonus assignments, 21. Correct me if I'm wrong, I didn't count I just went by what I remember. FPS nowadays seem to have a standard 10 chapters/levels with a few exceptions, which is a shame. The story was really cool and who doesn't love Elvis - one of the coolest aliens ever created. I could go on forever about this game but I wanna keep this short. If you haven't played PD64 then you haven't truly lived yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aliens är onda och läskiga